As probably is clear when you read the title: QtMPC 0.4.0 has just been released!
So what’s new? Actually quite a lot, but I’ll summarize the most significant changes. For instance, a lot of work has been put into caching, especially the fact that the whole music library is now cached locally using an XML file results in a quite nice and noticeable speed-up. Also album covers are cached and thus will display instantly. Another major thing is drag-and-drop, items from the music library can be dragged to the playlist and items in the playlist can be re-ordered using the drag-and-drop. Finally, it’s now possible to use your mouse wheel to adjust the volume while either hovering over the volume slider or the tray icon.
But, for the complete list, take a look in here: http://qtmpc.lowblog.nl/query?status=closed&milestone=0.4
Most important though, you can download the release here: http://files.lowblog.nl/qtmpc/QtMPC-0.4.0.tar.bz2
Better start listening some music now! ;)
As Roeland made clear, we’re back to business with regard to QtMPC. So let me tell you something about the stuff I finished today.
- Adjust volume with mouse wheel
- Album cover caching
I guess both items speak for themselves and don’t need much explanation. Anyway, you can now hover over the volume slider and adjust the volume with your mouse wheel. As for the cover caching thing, when covers are downloaded from Amazon, they’re now automatically stored locally as well (on hard disk) to make loading them again next time faster. The images are stored in $HOMEDIR/.QtMPC/ , so if want to delete them for any reasons, that’s the location to sweep.
The whole album cover thing is a bit hacky at the moment and I’d like to make a cleaner interface for it in the future with well defined functionality, but for now it works pretty well, if you don’t look at the code that is… ;)
Anyway, let’s see if we can roll a new release any time soon…
Since I started working on QtMPC again I have been working on ticket #25 which in a nutshell is saving the music library to disk and reading it from disk. This of course is only done when the music library is still the same.
The file is saved as an XML file. This is mainly because then it will work on all operating systems supported by Qt and we won’t have to think about a binary format. However this means we need to create a nice DTD file.
Now I have tested it on my own running setup. And at least it does not show a drop in start-up time. Although it is hard to measure. However over at my folks where the mpd database contains over 250 gigabytes of musics the normal start up time is over 8 seconds. So there I will be able to measure the result. In the mean time feel free to report any experiences.
Right now the file is saved to :homedir:/QtMPC/database.xml. This is not yet adjustable but it will be some day :) But until that day update to the latest revision and compile it!
Don’t forget to report any experiences or add tickets with wishes so we know how to improve this app.
This weekend I was at my parents. I took the opportunity to hookup the server to the stereo. The server has HD audio onboard and mpd does not take that much cpu/mem so it seemed like a perfect opportunity. Since my father has windows on his desktop I had to check if QtMPC compiled on windows. And it did. Without any modifications. This means we coded nice and clean in Qt, which is a good thing :)
Sander and I started talking and we are both working on QtMPC again. But note that we are busy people so development won’t be as fast as it was in the old days.
I’m working on storing the database on disk (in XML since that works on both windows and Linux out of the box). Right now only writing to disk is working. But reading the file from disk should be ready pretty soon. Which will make the start up time a lot faster if you have a large music collection.
Sander is working on some small things that help enhance the user experience.
We will keep you posted.