This has been on my wish list for quite some time and I finally managed to make it work today. It uses amazon to search for the artist and album keywords and uses the first result (if any) to retrieve to corresponding album cover and display it. There are some things to be improved though, it would be nice to be able to let the user choose from a list of covers (in case the first one isn’t correct). Another possible improvement is to store the downloaded image somewhere, so it can be used with less effort when it’s needed again, saving time and bandwidth.
As always, if feel there are other things to improve, please let us know!
We feel the program has enough features to make an official release, though we realize there’s still a lot to be added and improved.
Also see http://qtmpc.lowblog.nl for more information
The source can be downloaded from: http://files.lowblog.nl/qtmpc/QtMPC-0.2.tar.bz2
If you feel like making suggestions or asking for feature requests, please do! ;)
Today was quite productive with regard to QtMPC. Roeland managed to finish his work on the system tray functionality and create an icon for the application as a whole. I made an about dialog and some other minor stuff.
I think this is all the functionality that’s needed to make an official 0.2 release, so if no bugs pop up that’s exactly what I’ll do this week.
Just a short note that it’s now possible to set random and/or repeat playback using the GUI, obviously it also displays the current state…
Some bugs were fixed too, so check out the most recent source with svn.
So, after a couple of days coding I’m pretty satisfied with the result. Actually so much that I will call it 0.1 ;)
Considering that I’m not going to make an official release yet the number doesn’t really say anything since it can change after my next commit…
Anyway, the tree view containing the music library works, it’s even sortable. The most intensive task is filling the model data at program startup, but after that everything works without huge cpu usage. Adding songs, albums or even all the songs from an artists is done by double-clicking on the respective item in the tree view. The “Add” button is not functional yet, my plan is to also make that button handle multiple selections. A preference dialog also has been added, which allows you to fill in the connection details at start up if the connection can’t be made.
Feel free to try and make suggestions, keep in mind it’s made in about 4 days and it’s obviously not perfect. I probably also won’t have to tell you that the program comes without any warranty… ; )
To try it, simply use subversion to get the repository as explained in the post below.
edit: The add button now works too, so you can select multiple items in the tree view and add them all to the playlist…
Christmas is over and my media pc is working, but I don’t like the available clients for MPD very much. What does that lead to? Right, writing my own client.
As you can tell from the name it’s written using the Qt libraries, version 4 to be specific. It’s not mature enough for an official release, though if you’d like to have a look at it you can obtain the sources using svn like this:
svn co http://qtmpc.lowblog.nl/svn qtmpc
What works or should work? Here we go:
- Handle playback (play, pause, stop, previous, next)
- Adjust volume
- View current playlist
- Remove item(s) from playlist
- Start playing a specific song from playlist (by double-clicking)
- Displays information about song being played and highlights it in playlist
The most important thing which isn’t available yet is obviously being able to browse through the music library and add songs, albums etc. to the playlist. I hope to get that to work by tomorrow. By then rullzer also should be able to do some work.
P.S. If you decide to try it, make sure to adjust the hostname and possibly port to represent the hostname of your mpd host. This can be changed in main_window.cpp A configuration dialog is in the works… ;)